top of page
IMG-9557_edited.jpg

HISTORY

As we continue to write the history of Our Savior's Lutheran Church, words from our 1975 dedication closing prayer are valid for us today.

"We pray for those who make up this part of the body of Christ that this building may never be an end in itself, but that it may be a starting place for new and greater service of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen." 

1947 - 1951

The Beginnings

Our church began in the old dime store on the corner of 1st Avenue and 6th Street in 1946, led by Myron Swanson, a student intern from Bethlehem Lutheran Church (Kalispell). For a few years, services were held in St. Matthew's Episcopal Church. Sunday School also began in 1946 with a Women's Group organizing in February of 1947. In August of 1947 a Parsonage was purchased on 4th Avenue for our first pastor, Rev. Harry Baker. Our first Smorgasbord was served in October 1950 (Adults, $1.25; Children under 12, $0.75).

1951

Our First Church Building

In November of 1950, we obtained a mission loan for the $13,000 toward the construction of our own building (with most of the labor being donated). The pastor's salary was $2,000. Ground was broken on June 24, 1951. The first worship service held inside was on Christmas.

1973-1975

New Sanctuary Built & Dedicated

The present sanctuary was built in 1973-74, with the Dedication Service happening in January of 1975. The Sunday School room above the fellowship hall were added in 1987 and the offices for pastor and secretary were added in 1991.

1947 - 2023

Ministers of the Church

  • Myron Swanson, (Intern) 1946 - 1947

  • Harry Baker, 1947 - 1953

  • Corliss Rasmussen, 1954 - 1957

  • Orville Grorud, 1957 - 1960

  • Douglas Thorkelson, 1960 - 1972

  • Ronald Paulson, 1972 - 1984

  • Peter Waldum (Interim), 1984 - 1985

  • Thomas Gopp, 1985 - 2006

  • Cliff Gronneberg (Interim), 2006 - 2007

  • Peter Erickson, 2007 - 2024

bottom of page